Wednesday, October 21, 2009

"Too Big to Fail" & Charlie Rose

A recent issue of Fortune Magazine included a nice piece about Charlie Rose - "Why business loves Charlie Rose." I'm thankful for the article because it reminded me how much I enjoy his program so I've now set my DVR to record these episodes. Heck, if Warren Buffet watches it, I probably should.


Mr. Rose interviewed Andrew Ross Sorkin this week, author of "Too Big to Fail" - a book about the events and people surrounding the financial market crash, and I found myself completely engrossed with the conversation between Rose & Sorkin on the program. Lots of intricate details about Hank Paulson, Richard Fuld, Tim Geithner, and others. I just ordered a copy of the book from Amazon...

The discussion quickly reminded me of "Barbarians at the Gate" by Bryan Burrough and John Hely on the leveraged buyout of RJR Nabisco in a previous decade. I finally got around to reading this book over the summer.

While it's hard to believe how Wall Street deals sometimes go down, it's really not when you read about the people behind the deals. In the interview with Rose, Sorkin described his book as a recounting of people and their personalities as much as it is a book about the events themselves.

No comments: